Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Schmid wrote:
> GNOME 2.x will not get any more official support after the 2.32.1 relase
> which already happened. Single module maintainers may decide (or have
> already decided/done) to do more 2.32.x release to fix various bugs but
> no more official releases are planned.

What do you call official?

You may be aware that there was a recent initiative (from the marketing
team, I think) to contact the release managers for various GNOME based
distributions, and get them talking together about what they want to do
to ensure a long term maintenance of some GNOME releases. This is
essentially the same thing that GKH is co-ordinating in the kernel -
certain kernel releases will be supported long term by distributions,
and GKH is planning with distributors which ones fall into that category.

Note: not doing the maintenance, but co-ordinating downstream so that
they all agree to support the same thing. Similarly, there may be a
number of distros who want to maintain 2.32 together, and we should
enable that. It's not like anyone is going to ask module maintainers to
fix bugs in branches they're not interested in - but we would expect
them to allow others to commit fixes to those branches.

> This is not different from GNOME 2.30 for example. Distros that ship
> GNOME 2.30 (Ubuntu LTR for example) basically need to care themselves if
> they need to backport patches from newer releases of fix things
> themselves if it is specific to this GNOME release. GNOME never gave a
> promise to support any release any longer than 6 months.

We should make it possible (or even easy) for distros to collaborate to
do this kind of maintenance under GNOME, and push new point releases
themselves.

Cheers,
Dave.

--