Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Le mardi 28 décembre 2010, à 15:20 +0100, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> However, the fallback is meant as a fallback, not as providing
> gnome-panel and its applets. So I don't see anything wrong with not
> providing the applets. While at the same time, I don't see anything
> wrong with releasing a new gnome-applets tarball.
>
> Meaning: GNOME 3 is not gnome-panel and never will be. But if someone
> still hacks on gnome-applets nobody will work against them.

FWIW, I personally don't like calling this "fallback" and that's why I
named it "Classic GNOME" in gnome-session.

Sure, it's not our priority nor target, in terms of development (and it
shouldn't be). But to a lot of people, "fallback" means "you'll get some
ugly stuff that barely works", and while I do think we want to push
people to use GNOME Shell, there's no reason to make users who can't
use it feel second-class GNOME users.

Using gnome-panel+metacity as a fallback is not incompatible with having
gnome-panel+metacity offer a usable desktop. There are people who care
about this mode, and it's up to those people to step up to make sure it
will be usable.

Cheers,

Vincent

--