Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 12:03 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 07:15 +0000, jhs jsschmid de wrote:
> > > We don't have any concrete plans. However moving our tarballs to
> > GNOME
> > > FTP should pose no problem at all, likewise for i18n. Since we are
> > > talking daemons here i18n is not a big part of the project.
>
> > > As for VCS and bug tracking it'll be quite a lot more work on our
> > part
> > > if we should move. I don't think anyone in the team is directly
> > > opposed to the idea, but it's more the fact that it would be a major
> > > inconvenience. We make heavy use of Launchpad's branc/review
> > features
> > > and integration with blueprints and bugs. Of course we can replace
> > > this with a hand held combination of bugzilla and wikipages, but it
> > > would be a major change in our workflow.
>
> For something that intends to be such a major part of GNOME, not using
> GNOME's git and bugzilla is a huge problem. Resisting that wouldn't make
> people optimistic about things in future. I can't believe that it's that
> big a deal for Zeitgeist, compared with what you'd gain when you need to
> work with a much larger set of developers, testers, and users.
>
> It's worth adapting, please, because being in the GNOME Desktop is more
> than just getting a stamp of approval.

Completely agreed, though I'll be the devil's advocate, and mention that
it's pretty complicated for students in the SoC (where Zeitgeist
started) to get 1) git accounts 2) get bugzilla modules created.

I wish there was a more integrated solution, or even a an easier way to
create modules within a separate root from the rest of GNOME if we don't
want to trust the students blindly at the start.

Hopefully the new admin would sort that kind of problems out.

Cheers