Re: GSettings and you

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> On 20 April 2010 15:45, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> GSettings. Here are a couple of notes (in addition to some questions
>> from Richard who was porting gnome-color-manager):
>
> Some more questions:
>
> 1. The Gio /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gio-2.0.pc file has this:
>
> giomoduledir=${libdir}/gio/modules
> gsettingsschemadir=${prefix}/share/glib-2.0/schemas
>
> And yet when you do:
>
> pkg-config --variable gsettingsschemadir gio-2.0
>
> you get:
>
> /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
>
> (i.e. the ${prefix} is substituted out, rather than being left to the
> configure to substitute itself with the correct value)
>
> This breaks "make distcheck" pretty hard.

This is gio telling you where it will look for installed schemas, so
not expanding prefix would not make any sense. You should certainly
prepend $DESTDIR. But, since gsettings is using XDG_DATA_DIRS anyway,
we should probably scrap the variable altogether and just
use $DESTDIR$(prefix)/glib-2.0/schemas. It is then up to people to set
XDG_DATA_DIRS matching that prefix at runtime.