Re: Module Proposal: GNOME Shell

On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 09:24 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Let me phrase it a little differently then - it's not a problem that
> GNOME is able to fix. If there is demand, I assume NVIDIA will work on
> xrandr support.

Yeah, but given how long NVIDIA has been a part of our community (hey,
at least they provided Linux drivers years and years before anyone else
did),

and given that there are huge numbers of people who have nvidia chips
(and sure, it's easy to mock people for not having hardware that runs a
non non-free driver, but the reality is most laptops don't give you any
choice [or, rather, once you're at the price point and form factor you
want, you're unlikely to have any awareness from there] — and most
stores encourage customers to buy "descrete graphics" rather than
"integrated graphics"),

and given how long those of us with such chips have been without modern
xrandr support despite having made a stink about it,

I'm not sure we can expect that they will work on $feature more than
they already have.

Sure the cards work. Of course they do. But it's awfully jarring to the
user experience to have such radically different means for configuring
displays between one machine and another. And that's just
`gnome-display-properties` vs `nvidia-settings`.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track to presume 3D capability, but
I don't think we should be so dismissive of concerns from people on less
capable hardware or those who are remoting or virtualized. Especially in
the later case, that's how lots of people preview things like new Linux
releases, so we're exposed to risk of people forming unfortunate first
impressions.

AfC
Sydney