Re: Module Proposal: GNOME Shell

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM, <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> I think it is better to say: GNOME 2 will still be available after
> GNOME 3 is released.  Perhaps in long term stable maintenance mode.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/FAQ#What_led_to_the_decision_to_make_3D_acceleration_a_requirement_for_GNOME_Shell.3F

I think this reduces GNOME 3.0 to gnome-shell which is not entirely right.
Actually GNOME 3.0 is a API/ABI-broken release which includes some new
interface elements if you have hardware support but also lots of other
stuff (zeitgeist comes into my mind, mallard help, dropped Bonobo, etc.)

Actually, the Marketing Team is going to be spending all of our resources on marketing to current users of 2.x and what we have found so far with our research in to the matter is that the 3.0 experience is going to be almost entirely revolving around the Shell. So, I think it is accurate to characterize "3.0 as Shell". It's a simpler message and quite true. Zeitgeist/GNOME Activity Journal appears to be at high-risk at the moment. And, we aren't spending any effort on developers in the marketing for 3.0 so the other things you listed aren't of much importance with regard to he marketing message.