Re: New module proposal: tracker

2009/10/30 David Zeuthen <david fubar dk>:

> The point, really, is that Luca was incorrect in stating that we (GNOME)
> unconditionally adopts dependencies that are not widely deployed or
> fully baked. This was true (and in a sense, still is for some of these
> components) for polkit, devkit-disks/gnome-disk-utility, Pulseaudio,
> PackageKit and the list goes on. Why do you think it should it be any
> different for Tracker?

David, please, this is unpolite. I never said "unconditionally". I
simply referred a fact. The intent was to compare their impact in
GNOME with Tracker impact, not to blame the other softwares or
choices. I hope you agree that it's more simple install and test
Tracker now then DeviceKit 6 months ago. The first one works in a
JHBuild sandbox, and, in the worst, you could install in /usr without
breaking your distro stability. For DeviceKit, instead, was needed big
and intrusive changes, and only some users did it.

So IMHO the point "wait for tracker 0.7 inclusion in main distros" is
really little effective. The cost to test if Tracker works is cheaper
then the cost for other frameworks.

I suppose Tracker developers' concern is now provide a good APIs for
developers, not how many distro are currently shipping a just released
development release. We could help them to have a great 0.8 stable
release, and, meanwhile, we could improve GNOME features. And we can
choose to keep Tracker as external dependence ;)