Re: New module proposal: tracker

On 29/10/09 21:51, David Zeuthen wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 22:25 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
But in previous GNOME release we accepted stuff like PolicyKit or
DeviceKit or PulseAudio while not yet officially released or widely
adopted. And those stuff was needed to be installed under /usr in order
to properly work.

I believe all of these things are (optional) dependencies, not anything
part of the GNOME desktop proper. Except for maybe PulseAudio. Solaris,
for example, don't use any of this stuff.

That's not true, we have a few Solaris people sending us patches from time to time.

Tracker, instead, can be simply tested in a JHbuild sandbox.

So this doesn't seem to me a reason to drop its inclusion.

I'm with Zeeshan on this - what's the harm of delaying the inclusion of
Tracker until it has actually proven itself to be useful for Linux
Desktop uses? (In my view, Maemo isn't a typical Linux Desktop)

Maemo is a target platform being used by real people just like the desktop is so I don't agree with that argument.

--
Regards,
Martyn