Re: Module proposal: dconf

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 11:24 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Dne 13.10.2009 22:42, Dan Winship napsal(a):
> > OMG ITS TEH WINDOWS REGISTRY!!!1!1II|! IF ANY APP WRITES A SINGLE BYTE
> > WRONG THEN ALL OF YOUR APPS WILL BREAK AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO LOG IN
> > ANY MORE
>
> +1 :)
>
> People who are not able to learn from history are doomed to live through
> it again.

oh, puh-leaze. I think we have learned some things in the past 10 years.

if you bothered to look at GSettings and dconf you'd realize that there
is only one process allowed to write to the database: no application
will ever write to the database - only read operations go through the
library, to avoid contention.

also, dconf is one of the possible configuration sources: you can also
write a XML-based one, and if I remember correctly GSettings should have
a key-file one as well.

everyone asking for a plain text format (or even an XML format) for
*storage* should be forced to get only that on their machines, but
should also be barred from complaining why their boot process takes a
minute instead of 10 seconds. and no: having plain text storage and
adding a binary cache is not a solution.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.