Re: Module proposal: dconf

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 13:59 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
>       In terms of migration, is there any reason why we cannot re-implement
> most of the gconf client library layered on top of dconf - with
> presumably some automagic schema conversion in place of the
> gconftool-2 --makefile-foo-install-baa ?

There is a project to bridge dconf's backend to the libgconf API.  It
works for some *very* simple applications like gucharmap and the
calculator.  It was only made as a very simple proof of concept -- it
will need a lot of work before it has wide usability.  Help is massively
appreciated here.

>       Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea to me; though - can you confirm
> that the latest implementation does not scatter data we need to read on
> login / app launch across tens of tiny files, and that the authoritative
> data store is somewhat human readable ? :-)

"yes" and "yes" (but probably you meant "no").

Data is in a single file, and humans can read it with the right tools.
'cat' is not one of those tools. :)

Cheers