Re: Proposing couchdb-glib and evolution-couchdb for GNOME 2.30

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 20:03 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> 2009/10/1 Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>:

> >> you are indeed right, but I see couchdb can use different javascript
> >> libraries (it has a configure option to tell it where to find libjs) so
> >> I guess we could ask the couchdb guys to support our JS engine (when we
> >> decide which one to use :)
> >>
> > ok, just asked the couchdb devels about this, and it seems to be much
> > easier than I thought, so this should be easy to fix when we decide
> > which JS engine to use.
>
> Indeed, one can use any language as a CouchDB indexer. Indexer -
> because that is really what the Javascript is used for. The (very)
> simplified explanation is that you can't do custom queries against
> Couch only index lookups, but you can create some very funky indexes.
> These indexes are generated by calling out to an outside process over
> a socket using some protocol defined in the Couch docs (which is also
> why Couch is still very fast, the script engine is only used on
> indexing time).
>
> This external indexer process use libmozjs by default but you can
> create your custom indexer in what ever language you want; Python,
> Perl, even C if you are adventurous. It should not be a big task to
> write an indexer based on libseed I think - although I haven't checked
> the details.

no, shouldn't be a big task, as confirmed by the CouchDB developers this
afternoon. The only thing that I'm not sure about is that they mentioned
e4x
(http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-357.htm )
being needed in the JS implementation, so does libseed support that?