Re: Proposing couchdb-glib and evolution-couchdb for GNOME 2.30

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 13:41 +0100, John Carr wrote:

> > it is not required for evo-couchdb to work, so I don't think it needs
> > any mention, apart from saying that if you want to run a local CouchDB,
> > you need to install CouchDB and all its dependencies.
>
> I only brought it up because of the ongoing mozilla vs webkit
> discussions (and mozilla js vs seed/jscore) and i think the most
> useful configuration of evo-couchdb does depend on couchdb and hence
> mozilla js.
>
> I'm only so bothered in as much as i really don't want a desktop in
> the future to need 2 javascript engines and each application depending
> on 2 or 3 different database engines and so on :]

you are indeed right, but I see couchdb can use different javascript
libraries (it has a configure option to tell it where to find libjs) so
I guess we could ask the couchdb guys to support our JS engine (when we
decide which one to use :)

> >> Have you considered using the NEPOMUK ontologies (they've spent quite
> >> a lot of time developing ways of describing contacts and calendars and
> >> such things and from your ML it looks like you are reinventing the
> >> wheel).
> >>
> > I talked with you about it, and haven't had time this cycle to look much
> > at it, but yes, it might be interesting to look at using them, or at
> > least integrating easily with tracker's usage of them
>
> I know the feeling. We should really sit down and look at this before
> your home grown ontologies are frozen, though. Will you or sil be at
> GNOME Boston?

I'm not going, and seems sil is neither.

But we probably could have some IRC meeting with the tracker, couchdb
guys and anyone interested?