Re: Window titles

Hi Calum,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2009, at 09:58, Andrew Cowie wrote:
>
>> So anyone care to put a stake in the ground about what is correct?
>
> Well, the HIG advice hasn't really changed over the years:
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-primary.html.en#primary-window-titles>
>
> However, just when it's all looking fairly straightforward, it wimps out at the end by saying "If you plan to include your application's name in the title of a primary window...", without saying when/why that might be an acceptable practice.  This, IIRC, was one of the concessions we made to some maintainers who weren't happy that their pet project name might not be appearing on the screen any more, whether or not it was of any use to anyone.

In my view it seems like the only part of those recommendations that
should change for the shell is to remove this:
"While document names are most pertinent to users, we understand that
application developers may want to increase recognition of their
application. If you plan to include your application's name in the
title of a primary window, use the following format: Document Name -
Application Name. This will ensure that the document name appears in
limited space situations such as the system window list."

We will have an application menu at the top of the screen that will
serve the purpose of identifying the application.

> Like most things in the HIG, all of this will most likely be up for review once we start to properly shape the user experience for 3.0.

Well, really now is the time.  We are in the process of shaping the
user experience for 3.0.  I encourage designers from Sun, Novell,
Canonical etc to get involved now - while there is still time.  I've
literally been begging for involvement from these companies for a year
now.  And unfortunately, we haven't gotten much if any help yet.  I
don't know why.

Thanks,
Jon