Re: Window titles

On 14 Nov 2009, at 09:58, Andrew Cowie wrote:

> So anyone care to put a stake in the ground about what is correct?

Well, the HIG advice hasn't really changed over the years:
<http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-primary.html.en#primary-window-titles>

However, just when it's all looking fairly straightforward, it wimps out at the end by saying "If you plan to include your application's name in the title of a primary window...", without saying when/why that might be an acceptable practice.  This, IIRC, was one of the concessions we made to some maintainers who weren't happy that their pet project name might not be appearing on the screen any more, whether or not it was of any use to anyone.

Like most things in the HIG, all of this will most likely be up for review once we start to properly shape the user experience for 3.0.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team