Re: Appearance properties

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 14:23 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 09:04 -0500, Pierre-Luc Beaudoin wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:55 +0100, Ruben Vermeersch wrote:
> > > Having a ton of icons is certainly not good, but is there anything
> > > that shows that having none at all is better?
> > That's my 2 cents as a user: unless studies have generally identified a
> > speed up in menu usage, I would think it was a move the opposite.
>
> There's a bugzilla with plenty of reasons behind this change. You're
> more than welcome trying to second guess our esteemed community
> usability people.
>
> I think most of the anger in this thread stems from the fact that "it's
> changed". Well, progress comes through changes, and nothing was ever
> achieved with status quo.
>
> Maybe we'll change our minds later, but without compelling arguments,
> it's hard to make a case for reverting this change now.

Bastien, please don't translate this thread into general anger. Atleast
for me, it's not the case. I can certainly see the upside of it in a lot
of places. As such I'm not asking for a revert, I just wanted to note
that going from one end of the extreme all the way to the other feels
weird at some places.

But I do welcome the change (and I highly respect our usability people,
consider this a feedback loop, not an attack).