Re: Module semi-proposal: gnome-shell

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna
<sriram ramkrishna gmail com> wrote:
> So I was checking to see how popular _javascript_ is compared to the others.
> _javascript_ is much more popular than our other bindings except for C and
> Java according to this website:

(and Python)

>  http://langpop.com/

Yes, that's a great argument. Also, Mandarin is much more popular than English.

Yes, it is per population spoken.  But English is more popular on the Net.

What these pretty graphs don't show is the context. Me, being a webdev
for living am exposed to JS on a daily basis. Not because it's a great
language (it is nice indeed) but because it's the _only_ common
denominator when it comes to front-end scripting.

Now I'm not against embedding JS, just against silly popularity contests ;)

Well there you go, it is the only common demoniator and thus I see statistically that JS's mindshare will only grow.  Might as well tap into that.  The website is only showing raw statistics, but you providing the context so it's still all good.

Popularity is only an indicator on usage.  It doesn't say anything about quality.  After all windows 3.1 was the most popularity but we all know that it was a pretty bad OS compared to others.

sri