[no subject]

Essentially, I feel the APIs are far too low level and the
documentation is very very incomplete, which ended up leaving me
wandering around in dark as to what I was meant to do. The Application
Development Manual is useless (I know its not finished, but its no
help at all). I know you guys love love love ontolgoies and SPARQL and
predicates and all that, but honestly, as an application developer I
couldn't care less. All I want is to get at the data I want in the
easiest possible way, and looking at tracker and discovering that I
need to learn yet another language and a whole new load of boring
concepts to do that is very offputting. SPARQL, tuples, ontologies
should be internal details that you shouldn't need to know about.

Looking at tracker/src I see 7 things begining with libtracker- and
none of them look overly helpful. The most useful looks like
libtracker-client, but again its too low level. What I would really
like to see is some simpler high level calls that enable me to get all
data of (for example) Music, allow me to specify what fields I want,
and it should be a GObject that I can connect to signals on to find
out when a result has been added/removed/changed. We should be looking
to make our APIs as simple and easy to use as possible to enable
developers to make the applications without distracting them with
irrelevant implementation details. If this already exists, I apologise
and blame the lack of documentation.

iain