Re: Platform

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
>> Now that apple has closed the whole bonjour stack, I would prefer to build on
>> upnp. We have gupnp, which is actively developed and fitting nicely here.
>
> Now I don't want to make political statements, it's pure software
> engineering. Be it closed or open, we have a working Avahi
> implementation of the Bonjour stack. Also if you don't want streaming
> but only care about service announcing and discovery, Avahi is
> massively easier to use (and for example comes with nice python
> bindings).

  Service discovery is pretty easy with UPnP as well when using GUPnP.
All you have to do is to create one object and listen to signals for
device/service (un)availability. Unfortunately, we don't have python
bindings but keeping in mind gupnp is mostly gobject-based, it
shouldn't be a challenge to implement.

  One important thing to keep in mind when comparing avahi/mDNS/etc
with UPnP is that UPnP is much more than addressing and discovery:
Zeroconf defines standards for the addressing and discovery of
services on a network but do no define any means for description[1],
control, event notification and presentation.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124

[1]  We all know how useful D-Bus introspection with d-feet is, the
usefulness of UPnP description combined with gupnp-universal-cp is
quite the same.