GIO application integration with Nautilus

I've asked the Nautilus dev and Gnome hackers mailing list but they dont
really know much on the issue, so here I am.  By the way, I'm using
Debian and (of course) Gnome.

------------

I've written a GTK+ application that uses the GIO API for file IO
operations and I added it as the default application to open images, in
this case a jpeg. -- http://i42.tinypic.com/2yzeg4i.jpg

It works fine with Nautilus when opening files on a local
filesystem. -- http://i44.tinypic.com/t9gzye.jpg

The problem I've run into is that Nautilus will not allow me to open
files on remote filesystems (eg sftp virtually mounted file system) with
my application (doesnt appear on the context menu list). --
http://i44.tinypic.com/20gfpzd.jpg

When I use "Open With Other Application..." it launches the program but
does not pass in any arguments.

I have no problems opening files via CLI (eg appname
sftp://user server com/dir/image.jpg ).

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?  Is there any documentation
on how to add a GIO application to Nautilus for opening remote
filesystems?

<gnome-hackers adaptivetime com> wrote:

> > Does anyone know how to solve this problem?  Is there any
documentation
> > on how to add a GIO application to Nautilus for opening remote
> > filesystems?
>
> I'm not sure I fully understood what problem you have, but the way to
> inform the desktop about the capabilities of your application is to
> set the
> MimeType key in your desktop file appropriately, and use an Exec line
> that has a %f or %u in it.

To clarify what's happening, I've made some screenshots to show my
problem in action.

list of available applications: http://i42.tinypic.com/2yzeg4i.jpg
context menu for remote directory: http://i44.tinypic.com/20gfpzd.jpg
context menu for local directory: http://i44.tinypic.com/t9gzye.jpg

As for desktop files, here is the list of files I created/modified, all
based on entries/files for GIMP.

modified: /usr/share/application-registry/gnome-vfs.applications
created: /usr/share/applications/qiv2.desktop
created: /usr/share/app-install/desktop/qiv2.desktop

=== excerpt /usr/share/application-registry/gnome-vfs.applications ===

qiv2
        command=qiv2
        name=Quick Image Viewer 2
        can_open_multiple_files=true
        expects_uris=non-file
        requires_terminal=false
        supported_uri_schemes=file

mime_types=image/bmp;image/gif;image/x-fits;image/pcx;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-sgi;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xwindowdump;image/tiff;image/jpeg;image/png;image/x-icon;image/x-xpixmap;image/svg+xml;

====== end of excerpt ======

====== file /usr/share/applications/qiv2.desktop ======

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Quick Image Viewer 2
GenericName=Quick Image Viewer 2
Comment=View images with ease
Exec=qiv2 %U
TryExec=qiv2
Icon=qiv2
Terminal=false
Categories=Graphics;2DGraphics;RasterGraphics;GTK;
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=image/bmp;image/gif;image/x-fits;image/pcx;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-sgi;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xwindowdump;image/tiff;image/jpeg;image/png;image/x-icon;image/x-xpixmap;image/svg+xml

====== end of file ======

====== file /usr/share/app-install/desktop/qiv2.desktop ======

[Desktop Entry]
X-AppInstall-Package=qiv2