Re: fast-forward only policy

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 16:00 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >> case that's not a compelling argument; you can still have branches
> >> '1-2' and 'gnome-2-26'.
>
> Quick note.  If we're going to have short branch names (as I'm planning to use
> for pango), it should be "1.2", not "1-2".

Why? Surely this makes the branches harder to spot on a quick glance
(short non-word strings are harder for the eye to spot), possibly breaks
grouping in lists (i.e. they all start pango-), and with tab completion
doesn't really gain you much in terms of typing time.

I've always liked our consistency with branch and tag names. There is so
much implicit information available there, without you having to look at
other things.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA