Re: fast-forward only policy

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
> Would you fight to keep alive the branch Linus just found too crappy
> and just killed it? If a commit never made it to a release and
> probably never would, is it really that important?

It seems to me whatever Linus decided to do for the kernel is
completely orthogonal to what we, the gnome project, decide to do.

> I guess this is like the abortion debate. When is a commit really
> alive? Does commits feel pain when they are killed before being
> pushed?

It's probably for the best to keep technical arguments based on
technical details and not conflate the issue with highly charged and
emotional topics.

The consensus so far seems to be that losing commits is a non-starter.
 It's not clear to me what benefit dropping these ossified branches
gives us.  What is the problem you're trying to solve Felipe?

Les