Re: fast-forward only policy

Le mercredi 06 mai 2009, à 02:21 +0300, Felipe Contreras a écrit :
> Debian patches are debian patches, they control them, and they make
> debian releases. If GNOME decides to remove those commits the
> distributions will not loose their patches.

I think this summarize well the whole thing: we do not want to remove
commits.

[...]

> If you really want to be safe you can create legacy (hidden) repos in
> the case someone might need those commits. They will not waste any
> space because git uses hard links when you clone locally. Then you can
> delete all the legacy branches in the public (visible) repos while
> still be confident no commit will be lost.

If gazillions of branches/tags/whatever is an issue with git, then I'd
say this is a git bug... I can see it being an issue when doing "git
checkout <tab>" and I'd very much prefer to have git let me filter the
branches/tags/whatever that are of interest to me via an option.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.