Re: fast-forward only policy

Le mercredi 06 mai 2009, à 00:48 +0300, Felipe Contreras a écrit :
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Robin Sonefors <ozamosi flukkost nu> wrote:
> > On tis, 2009-05-05 at 23:10 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> >>
> >> Imagine someone who has been on a GNOME hiatus or is a new comer. What
> >> would be easier to understand? '1-2' or 'stable'?
> >
> > If I want the sources for the gedit in Gnome 2.26, cloning gedit's
> > repository and checking out the branch 'gnome-2-26' sounds like an
> > easy-to-remember way to do it. If I want the sources for gedit in Gnome
> > 2.24, I can probably deduce that 'gnome-2-24' sounds like a branch to
> > look for.
>
> Right, 'gnome-2-24' does actually point to the latest release (2.24.3)

No. It points to the latest code in the 2.24 branch. There might be code
after the release. It's a branch, it's not a tag. So, maybe I don't
understand what you're saying because I misunderstand git?

> which is good and I think all the GNOME projects should have such
> branches (perhaps 'gnome-2.24' instead) so it's easier to manually
> checkout the sources you want. But that's not in the guidelines, and
> it seems not even GTK+ is following that. I believe right now in order
> to find out all the latest stable packages for a certain GNOME release
> you need to use something like jhbuild.

Again, it's in the guidelines. Not for GTK+ since GTK+ is an independent
project. But it is for GNOME modules. See
http://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner#branches

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.