Re: fast-forward only policy

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 01:28 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 06 mai 2009, à 01:01 +0300, Felipe Contreras a écrit :
> >> You don't need a branch to make commits, tag them and push them.
> >>
> >> $ git checkout PANGO_1_2_4
> >> # make changes
> >> $ git commit -a
> >> $ git tag PANGO_1_2_5
> >> $ git push origin PANGO_1_2_5
> >>
> >> But if you feel icky about not working on a branch you can create a
> >> local branch:
> >>
> >> $ git checkout -b work-for-1.2.5 PANGO_1_2_4
> >> # make changes
> >> $ git commit -a
> >> $ git tag PANGO_1_2_5
> >> $ git push origin PANGO_1_2_5
> >> $ git branch -D work-for-1.2.5
> >>
> >> Both cases are exactly the same. You push a tag (reference) and all
> >> the objects in the hierarchy of the head of that reference that is
> >> still not on the remote repo.
> >
> > I might misunderstand things but... with those commands, aren't you
> > releasing pango 1.2.5 after just one commit? This is not what we do. We
> > might have a few commits, not on the same day. In this case I think
> > we'll need a branch anyway, won't we?
>
> You can create as many commits as you want in any fashion you want.
> What I tried to explain is that you can push a tag without pushing a
> branch.

It's not about pushing a tag without pushing a branch.
It's about pushing a commit without pushing a branch.
Which yes, is possible.  But absolutely useless.  When
I make a release, the last thing I want to do is sift
through all the commits looking for those I might want
to merge into this release.

--
Shaun