Re: WebKitGTK+ as an external dependency

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 10:46 -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> The first goal I believe we are targeting for WebKit accessibility is
> that it is on par with Gecko, modulo ARIA support.  Without that, I'm
> not sure why a user with a disability would want to see a migration away
> from Gecko to WebKit.
>
> I think the work Joanie and Xan have been doing is getting us towards
> that goal, and both are doing a great job identifying the remaining work
> needed to achieve that goal.
>
> Having said that, it is my understanding that apps such as yelp are
> working on supporting both Gecko and WebKit.  If this is the case, would
> the choice of rendering engine be done at run time or compile time?

Compile time, if at all.  I don't really have a whole lot of
interest in maintaining an HTML renderer abstraction again.
Right now, WebKit support is being worked on in a separate
branch (not by me, as of yet).  When it's ready, I'd rather
just switch, instead of maintaining both WebKit and Gecko
support.  I'm waiting on an accessibility green light.

--
Shaun