Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

2009/1/5 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>:
> Le dimanche 04 janvier 2009 à 15:40 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo a
> écrit :
>> On a side note here, I recalled being against dropping ChangeLogs in
>> projects in favour of commit messages. But now I love it and I realize
>> that my main problem was that with SVN I *needed* the ChangeLog since
>> that was the *only way* I could quickly read the project history, svn
>> log took ages and was ugly.
>> Now with giggle or git command line utils it's trivial to watch
>> differences and read commit messages.
>
> Only if you have a checkout. But for those who want to look at the
> history with the web interface, this is a nightmare with both viewvc and
> gitweb. And for us who regularly access all modules without wanting to
> checkout all of them, this is a clear regression from what we had with a
> simple ChangeLog.

I think that you do get the same experience with gitweb as with giggle.
Eg
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=3bfacef412b4bc993a8992217e50f1245f2fd3a6
and
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=3bfacef412b4bc993a8992217e50f1245f2fd3a6

or perhaps this is not what you had in mind?

  Marko