Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

On 1/4/09, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:

> Just in case I am forced to switch to git in the future (being open
>  minded here, although I prefer bazaar), does someone have any advice how
>  to generate a nice GNU style ChangeLog (like what emacs produces) from
>  git commit logs?  I know that some projects like Cairo auto-generate
>  ChangeLog already, but the default git changelog format is too
>  detailed/ugly IMHO.

On a side note here, I recalled being against dropping ChangeLogs in
projects in favour of commit messages. But now I love it and I realize
that my main problem was that with SVN I *needed* the ChangeLog since
that was the *only way* I could quickly read the project history, svn
log took ages and was ugly.
Now with giggle or git command line utils it's trivial to watch
differences and read commit messages. On top of that we used to copy
the exact same text from the ChangeLog entry into the commit message,
which was pretty useless but necessary because of SVN limitations (now
this is a vague comment, don't flame me).

I'm not saying that ChangeLogs are useless, just commenting a little
experience I had. Again, just a side note.

greetings!