Re: D-Bus replacement for AT-SPI Accessibility

Hi All:

The ditching of Bonobo goes beyond AT-SPI. It also has an impact on gnome-speech and gnome-mag. This is a fair amount of work to pull off and we currently have a dearth of resources to do the work.

We're not at the "uh oh, we're completely screwed" point yet, however. The good thing is that this is all technically solvable and we mostly need talented warm bodies to do the work.

I've had some back channel communications with a number of folks and I've started a WIKI page here: http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/BonoboDeprecation. If we can get some agreement on what is needed and a high level idea for how to do it, we can then start scoping out the solutions and work to find people/funding for the work.

So, please take a look at the WIKI and comment. In addition, please also note that a lot of the AT-SPI/D-Bus organization is currently being done via the OpenA11y group of the Linux Foundation level. The main reason for that is that we're working to make AT-SPI the accessibility infrastructure for the entire desktop, regardless of which toolkit is being used (e.g., GTK+, Qt, etc.).

Will

Andre Klapper wrote:
CC'ing gnome-accessibility-list.

This is a must-fix for GNOME 2.30/3.0 as ORBit and Bonobo will be
removed (as already written).

It would be great if this could be discussed in the a11y community and
if you (plural) could come up with a plan (technical + schedule) in the
next weeks (before 2.27.1) defining how to achieve this goal in the next
13 months.

andre