Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 17:14 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:
> On 18/08/09 17:11, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Jamie
> > McCracken<jamie mccrack googlemail com>  wrote:
> >>
> >> we could use the Gtk Recent files stuff for this and that would work for
> >> ordinary users but not devs fetching source code or other command line
> >> stuff
> >
> > Unless it's really REALLY compelling and fast, I don't want my source
> > code in any kind of database, at least by default.  We should leave
> > this to IDEs.
> >
> > The important files to index are word processor documents, graphic
> > files, PDFs, web browser downloads.  Recent files could be used for
> > this with a bit of work (i know Firefox would need a patch at least).
>
> Yea, we share the same sentiments.
>
> I think I will just go ahead and do this then, it seems a common thought
> amongst developers.

I guess we could indeed make a tracker-miner-gtk-recent

Since last few months we have been working on cleanly separating the
tracker-miner-* from the tracker-store. The tracker-miner-fs is just one
such miner. The separating of store and miner is fully completed now.

Adrien Bustany, a summer of code student, has been working on miners for
Facebook and Flickr this summer. We started discussing and integrating
his work this week.

A miner like tracker-miner-gtk-recent wouldn't use inotify or any other
filemonitoring, but only the gtk-recent library.

Adrien Bustany's summer of code project:
http://git.mymadcat.com/index.php/p/gsoc/source/tree/master/

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog