Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Lennart Poettering<mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> On Tue, 18.08.09 18:55, Xan Lopez (xan gnome org) wrote:
>
>> > If tracker-store is not useful on its own and currently not used by
>> > anything else in GNOME, does it really make sense to push it into
>> > GNOME?
>> >
>> > Also, even if the store has uses besides the indexer, just be honest:
>> > does it *really* add any measurable benefit to GNOME if this is in
>> > GNOME if the most important user (which is the indexer) is not?
>> >
>> > Does it really make sense to push the store independantly of the
>> > indexer?
>>
>> Well, on one side this is the classical chicken-egg problem, isn't it?
>
> No, it's not. Many libraries have been made nothing more than maybe
> blessed dependencies and are nonetheless being used everywhere.

And that's one way of solving the chicken-egg problem. The other is
accepting the dependency before it's used, assuming the developers
want it in. I think it's OK to prefer solving things in the first way,
but I think it's clear adding new libraries to the platform requires
some way or the other of breaking the status quo...

> I don't think it would be a good idea to use GNOME solely as a vehicle
> to make things more popular with other developers...

With that I can totally agree.

Xan