Re: Application names
- From: Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org>
- To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Cc: gnome-i18n gnome org, gnome-doc-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Application names
- Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:06:21 +0200
William Jon McCann wrote:
> So, in preparation for GNOME Shell and 3.0 a number of us have been
> trying to address various inconsistencies in how we name applications.
> What do you think? (please read the blog post before answering)
After further discussion on the XDG mailing list and an agreement with
David Faure of KDE fame, I propose this goal, that will allow to both
have Name keys suitable for gnome-shell and to keep the current
entries in gnome-panel.
The guidelines are:
- If Name is just the application name, leave it alone
- If there is no GenericName, leave it alone
- If Name == GenericName: remove GenericName
- If Name embeds both the application name and the generic name
- Add X-FullName, with what was in Name
- Set Name to the application name only
Impact for translations: at most a new string for each modules, with
the application "brand" name (that could be left alone, for languages
that do not do transliteration).
Impact for documentation: none (once libgnomedesktop gets its new
Is everybody ok to proceed ?
] [Thread Prev