Re: Application names

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 17:51 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Frederic Peters<fpeters gnome org> wrote:
> > William Jon McCann wrote:
> >
> >> My proposal for 2.28 is:
> >
> > UI Freeze for 2.28 is set to Monday; sure we could grant an exception
> > and rush things, but I'd prefer to wait for the beginning of 2.29,
> > especially as we may want a new translatable key in the desktop files
> > and that would give enough time to translators.
>
> We're are not in string freeze yet.  We are free to change any strings
> we wish.  Especially since this is mostly removing extra text from
> Names - and could even be done by a script in some cases.  So I'm not
> sure this alone is a good reason to delay.  We will also have lots of
> other things to do in the 2.29 cycle - trust me.  And really 2.28 is
> supposed to be a baseline for GNOME Shell testing and we absolutely
> need these fixes for that.

We are, however, very close to UI freeze.  And I'd argue
that this constitutes UI changes.

I'm particularly afraid of point 3 -- Consider renaming
applications that have really poor names -- this late in
the release cycle.  If you're going to pursue that as a
Gnome goal for 2.28, then the people involved need to be
willing to do real leg work in analyzing the impact on
documentation, marketing materials, etc.

--
Shaun