Re: GTK adjustement changes create incompatible behaviour between versions?

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 19:57 +0200, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> 2008/9/18 Sebastien Bacher <seb128 ubuntu com>:
> > "* GtkAdjustment now enforces that values are restricted to the
> >  range [lower, upper - page_size]. This has always been the documented
> >  behaviour, and the recommended practice is to set page_size to 0
> >  when using adjustments for simple scalar values, like in a slider
> >  or spin button. "

read this bit above again...

> This is not true. See #307963. From the gtk 2.12 documentation for
> GtkAdjustment:
>
> "The page size of the adjustment. Note that the page-size is
> irrelevant and should be set to zero if the adjustment is used for a
> simple scalar value, e.g. in a GtkSpinButton."

... and the documentation.

both are telling you that you should set the page_size to 0 for
SpinButtons or sliders.

the documentation for GtkAdjustment already says that the accepted value
range is [lower, upper - page_size]. the enforcing apparently breaks
broken application accessing the GtkAdjustment data structure -
something gtk+ cannot prevent.

> Definitely it is a break. No opinion on if the new behavior is better or not.

now tell me: what difference do you see between the documentation and
the enforcing of the documentation that you consider a break?

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,