Re: Thumbnailer specification: Move, Delete, Copy hints (Was: Re: GSD should not housekeep the thumbnails)

For the people new to the discussion about the thumbnailer DBus spec,
here's[2] a working prototype that will compile on a typical desktop.

If you have Gdk and GStreamer, it'll already make thumbnails for all
supported formats in GdkPixbuf and for mpeg videos. More formats, if
supported by GStreamer, will follow.

Of course can specialized plugins be made. Those plugins can be ran
either in-process with the prototype's daemon implementation, and as a
separate process (if it implements being a specialized thumbnailer as
defined by the Draft specification[1])

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec

[2] https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/branches/hildon-thumbnail/daemonize

With the prototype you can run plugins designed to be ran in-process
with the prototype's daemon implementation as a standalone specialized
thumbnailer. You use the "plugin-runner"[3] tool for that.

[3] https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/branches/hildon-thumbnail/daemonize/daemon/plugin-runner.c

This prototype is designed for desktop neutrality. Although it depends
on glib, gobject and dbus-glib, you can easily make plugins that avoid
the dependency on GdkPixbuf or GStreamer.

You can easily adapt the Makefile.am to either build or not build them.

I will improve the code and will accept patches that make it even more
desktop neutral (if it makes sense).

If even that is not okay, the specification allows for "competing
implementations". It even allows for a desktop-search engine or a file
manager to become an implementer of it. The spec is designed for this.

I also want (and can[4]) help competitors with this as I believe that
competition is a innovation-force. It's necessary and good to have a
competitor, to drive innovation. I'll welcome it, strongly.

I strongly believe that thumbnailing is something that will have
different characteristics on a mobile compared to a desktop. It indeed
make sense to have competing implementations.

[4] During daytime I can help with coding tasks related to this. But
people need to ask me, of course.

The prototype also shows how you could implement a toolkit specific
thumbnailer library that could be consumed by your application
developers. [5] is a reimplementation of libhildonthumbnail.so that now
uses the prototype daemon instead.

[5] https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/branches/hildon-thumbnail/daemonize/thumbs/hildon-thumbnail-factory.c

Thanks

home: me at pvanhoof dot be