Re: GSD should not housekeep the thumbnails

Emmanuel Pacaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On mar, 2008-09-16 at 11:34 +0200, Stephane Delcroix wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>> The plugin does something like this:
>> - clean the thumbnails older than MAX_AGE (default to 60 days)
>> - clean the oldest thumbnails until the cache size is under MAX_SIZE
>> (default to 64MB)
>
> I don't get why it work like this. Why remove a thumbnail because it's
> old ? Why would we want to limit the size of the thumbnail cache to an
> arbitrary value ? It depends on the disk size, and it will limit itself
> by the fact the size of the thumbnailed files is largely bigger than the
> thumbnail size.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to just remove thumbnail of files that don't exist
> anymore ?

I guess when Philip's thumbnailer daemon is starting to get widely used,
It could do the job of cleaning the cache. This would mean that you
would no longer have thumbnails lying around for deleted files and it
could also clean out thumbnails that haven't been *accessed* after a
certain time period, which should give better performance.

Thanks,
Rob