Re: DVCS

Hi!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:24:25PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali Khattak wrote:
>>   I remember that at GUADEC, we were seriously thinking about
>> migrating to git but the decision was postponed on Mark Shuttleworth's
>> request. It's been some months since that and we are still stuck with
>
> It wasn't delayed at his request. We sat in a presentation room with no
> preparation at all do decide on a DVCS. That is not how I environ a BoF.
> We discussed later in another room, but as I didn't ask for the BoF, I
> didn't do any real preparation. In the end there was no real decision to
> be made.
>
> PS: As a BoF was planned, I asked if a few Bazaar devs could be
> available for any technical questions, plus to check with GNOME
> developers regarding Bazaar (to ensure it is ok). This is the reason
> they were there, it wasn't thought up at Canonical. Bringing this up now
> as I heard some people made other conclusions.

  Thanks for the clarification. I think most people made the wrong
conclusion since that is exactly how it seemed like. However, that
wasn't the point of my mail but to emphasize that it's been quite some
time that most of us want to move away from SVN and it doesn't seem to
be happening and the main reason is that we are divided on which VCS
to move to.

>> 2. I want to move a module from o-hand SVN to gnome SVN while keeping
>> the history intact and seems the only way of achieving that is to wait
>> on bkor to get to import the svn dump. Don't get me wrong, I am not
>> saying bkor is taking very long but I have no way of knowing when
>> would he get time to do it.
>
> If I'd enable property setting you could just do a svn sync. The reason
> you can't is that I don't trust it. You could change svn:author etc for
> any revision. I don't like it... such changes could be mailed and so on,
> but I don't think people will notice. Meaning: affects security.

  Thanks for the explanation but i am missing your point here?

> Now that you imported using Git it still isn't the import that I
> would've done. Meaning: not everything under your userid,

   Well, there was only one commit that wasn't by me and that was by
mallum when he created the repo for me. I seriously doubt mallum minds
if that commit got lost during this migration.

> correct
> timestamps, etc.

  Yikes! I didn't notice that one. :(

   About doing it through git myself rather than waiting for you to do
it, I wouldn't have lost my patience if you had replied to my messages
on IRC asking for a rough estimate on when could you get to do it. If
i knew that i only need to wait for a few days, I would have waited
but you not answering me made me think that you are way too busy to do
it anytime soon.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali Khattak