Re: new module proposal: notification-daemon+libnotify

Where is the code currently hosted?

I'd like to play around with this if I have time.

-Natan
2008/11/6 Christian Hammond <chipx86 chipx86 com>
I can assure you that this hasn't bit-rotted. It has been in development, but my work on Unity at VMware this past year basically took up all my free time.

I would be happy to have people who want to contribute and fix bugs. I plan to keep the roll as maintainer, and have a couple people in mind for a co-maintainer. If people really want certain things in or fixed, by all means, submit patches. Nobody has done so in a while and nobody's really been complaining about anything to my knowledge, so I haven't felt that a release was that urgent. Still, there are some important fixes in SVN, some of which were waiting for additional patches that I never got and only recently had time to finish up. I should be in a good position to do a release soon.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chipx86 chipx86 com
VMware, Inc.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:30 PM, A. Walton <awalton gnome org> wrote:
> There are other maintenance-related issues to bring up as well, like
> the duplicated functionality in having both
> notification-daemon+libnotify and libcanberra doing sound
> notifications (tiny amount of code we could drop from the n-d
> implementation, since it seems libcanberra is/will be better taken
> care of, at least for now). Either way, it would be nice to at least
> see the notification stuff imported into GNOME's tree, where more
> people are likely to put eyes on it and be able to do things such as
> roll releases, squash a couple of tiny leaks Ubuntu is shipping
> patches for, etc. It would be a big step forward just to get that far.

Hell, I know almost nothing about its internals but still would be
willing to become a maintainer if needed (maybe I wouldn't do much in
terms of real programming time but I sure can review and commit
patches). It's just too useful to let it bit-rot. Over time we can
adjust the feature set and/or the API (should not be a huge problem as
long as we update libnotify as well).

--
Patryk Zawadzki