Re: new module proposal: notification-daemon+libnotify

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 10:24 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> Yes, I know what your initial reaction is - "again?".
>
> Only maintainers can propose new modules, so unless we're talking
> external dependency, Christian would have to write that mail...

I don't know how busy Christian is.

But even if he is too busy to propose the module himself, I think it
is time for us to be honest about the fact that it is pretty much
impossible to use the desktop without notification-daemon nowadays.
Many components rely on the ability to notify users in this way and
are severely reduced in functionality if the notification service is
not available.

Sure, the implementation may not be ideal, and in an ideal world, it
would not have its own little theming island and would maybe just be
part of the desktop shell,
but we don't live in that world (yet ?).

Matthias