Re: new module proposal: brasero

Le mercredi 05 novembre 2008 à 12:48 +0100, Luca Ferretti a écrit :
> If so, there is no UI for this, in example a "Blank Disc" entry in
> Nautilus context menu for inserted disc, isn't it?

No, but it proposes to blank the disk at the time of burning if
appropriate.

> > What exactly can the brasero front-end do that n-c-b cannot? Shouldn’t
> > it be something that we could add to the n-c-b burn dialog?
>
> Josselin, I was speaking about "frontend", i.e. provide to the end user
> both this[1] and this[2] UIs to collect data to burn.

Yes, I understood that, and I believe the brasero frontend made some bad
UI choices.

So far, the only features that you described that n-c-b is missing are:
     1. multisession support
     2. ability to blank discs from the UI
     3. the progress bar indicating how much room is left on the disc
     4. audio CD burning

2 is trivial to add, 3 requires more knowledge of the nautilus insides
but shouldn’t be too hard, 4 is already done in an arguably better way
by serpentine, so all that leaves is multisession support. Compare that
to the task of changing all applications that use libnautilus-burn to
use a new burning backend.

If we change our burning software so radically, I’d like to see
radically new features as well. Currently I only see a radically worse
UI.

Don’t get me wrong: I love to see people working on improving our CD
burning suite. But thinking of it as a standalone application, à la
Nero, is a regression.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.