Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

Hi,

2008/3/25 Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:

>  Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2008, 16:51 +0100 schrieb Xavier Claessens:
>
> > Le mardi 25 mars 2008 à 16:30 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann a écrit :
>  > > Telepathy and Empathy look very promising, but Telepathy doesn't support
>  > > buddy lists for IRC (and SIP) yet. Not having buddy lists for IRC would
>  > > be a major regression for my use patterns of IRC.
>  > >
>  > > So personally I don't consider Empathy mature enough until Robert
>  > > McQueen has finished his work on IRC buddy lists.
>  > >
>  > > Ciao,
>  > > Mathias
>  >
>  > It is really not an essential feature in my opinion. Empathy is planning
>  > to split chatrooms into a dedicated application looking like xchat-gnome
>  > but based on libempathy-gtk, it could be a cool SoC project... Even if
>  > it's not done for 2.24 that's something we can do later.
>
>  I don't see how chatrooms and IRC buddy lists are related to each other.
>  IRC is used as private communication protocol. Applications offering
>  private communication are quite useless, if they do not provide easy
>  access to frequent communication partners.
>
>  Yes, I'd like to see Telepathy in GNOME, but before that happens I want
>  to see it mature enough to replace existing applications like Pidgin.
>  Without buddy list support for IRC, it cannot replace Pidgin.

Pidgin is not part of GNOME, neither is XChat.

So currently there's no IM/chat solution for GNOME.

>  I definitely do not want to run and maintain two different IM
>  applications on my computer (implicitly Telepathy/Empathy due GNOME
>  desktop integration[1], and Pidgin for its limited, but still superior
>  IRC support).

You are free to use irssi, or emulate mIRC with Wine. That is up to you.

AFAIK GNOME doesn't recommend the usage of Pidgin, so it's better to
fully support Empathy than nothing at all.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras