Re: Composition [was Re: gnome-session proposal]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:02:24 -0600, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:

Nah, one thing about a compositor is that it keeps off-screen copies
of all the windows so it does not have to invalidate regions when the
stacking order changes.

Agreed. Refocusing would only enforce a redraw once; if you move one window gently
across another full-screen window in the background the effect multipies.
It will trigger loads of redraws resulting in flicker and/or partially drawn windows.
Most visible on slow CPU machines.

To be totally honest, I've never really thought of that as being all
that important.

In my opinion eliminating the need for extra redraws is the greatest benefit
a compositor has for the user. It really smoothens the desktop experience.

I don't think I've ever thought "You know, I wish that window would
redraw faster" when I've restacked it

Maybe not when restacking, but move windows on top of other, widget-packed
windows (rhythmbox comes to my mind). Try moving at different speeds
on a computer with a slow CPU (500 Mhz). I bet you will see.

If a compositor just kept off screen copies of windows, and didn't
have live previews etc etc, would you honestly use it?

Definitely. In fact I turned off all bling like previews and use only the basic
shrink and fade away minimise effect. Smooth and easy on the eyes.

Regards

--
Christian Kirbach
Christian Kirbach googlemail com