Composition [was Re: gnome-session proposal]

2008/6/26 Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.06.2008, 15:28 +0100 schrieb Alexander Jones:
>> Agreed, we need to move towards expecting Composited as default and
>> Direct as a niche case, but this was just an example. :)
>
> Guess Metacity's compositor needs to become much faster first.
> Activating its compositor introduces such a lag, that is isn't
> fun anymore.

I'm assuming you've turned on the appropriate xorg configuration
options to enable the correct acceleration
and none of that helped? I forget what they are, but I'm sure someone
will chime in.

If you are one of those people with a crap graphics card (or drivers)
I have been working on getting a strange hybrid compositor working
that I'm assuming should be much faster
so that you can have simple compositing to give translucency without
any stupid effects at all.
Because really, the only essential feature of a compositor is
translucency, everything else is just extra guff.
(Ironically, its working perfectly except for translucent windows...)

But none of this is relevent to the gnome-session discussion, so we
shall move it to a seperate thread.

iain