Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?B?4oCc4oCd?= instead of ""

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:01:22 -0400
Dan Winship <danw gnome org> wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > GTK/Glib are not the biggest problem here. You also use C library
> > functions in Gnome applications. Glib/Gtk+ works with the C library in C
> > locale simply because ASCII is a subset of UTF-8. That ceases to work the
> > moment you introduce UTF-8 bytesequences into non utf-8 locales.
>
> Are there actually legitimate reasons for anyone to ever use a non-UTF-8
> locale these days?

The standards say the default locale (ie if you haven't set one) is ASCII
(Locale "C"). So yes people do.

I don't know if the use of KOI8R/RU and shift-jis is still "legitimate".
I guess you would have to ask the users. I also don't know what the
situation is for usage patterns on non-Linux systems. Sun have always been
on the ball with unicode but some other vendors are a bit more
conservative.

Note; I am all for the US locale using pretty quotes. I'm just strongly
opposed to doing it against the specifications and praying it works out.
Particularly when its probably a perl one liner to generate en_US.utf-8
locale files.

Alan