Re: Quotation marks: Using =?utf-8?B?4oCc?= =?utf-8?B?4oCd?= instead of ""

2008-06-13 klockan 16:44 skrev Alan Cox:
> If your string is untranslated then _("foo") -> "foo". If your locale is
> not unicode then this places utf8 symbols into non-utf8 locales.

Since you don't know whether the result of _("foo") will be strict ASCII,
you must always treat it as if it were not. GLib/GTK+ *requires* UTF-8
strings for all (most?) of its string handling functions...

> [snip]
> If your input string is not ASCII then functions like:
> 	strcoll, strxfrm, strcasecmp, isupper, islower, isalpha, ... etc
> all start giving undefined answers.

...so afaics calling these non-UTF8 aware functions is a bug regardless of
the current locale.

> You've also ignored the fact that output of utf-8 bytes in a non utf-8
> mode is going to have undefined results as well.

All output must be handled by g_print, not by printf so this is also a
non-issue I think.

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

i was alone :: falling free :: trying my best not to forget       -- placebo