Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?B?4oCc4oCd?= instead of ""

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:41:15 +0100
"Iain *" <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
>
> > What about printing to files ? An "nm" also rather suggests that gnome
> > apps do use printf and fprintf somewhat and many of the other functions
> > mentioned. syslog() is another that is used.
>
> I don't know what your use cases are, but I don't find myself passing
> UI strings to syslog very often.

syslog is just one of a list of functions a quick nm check found that
showed gnome apps use the C libraries not just glib/gtk. I suspect stuff
like string sort ordering and strigth lengths are more of an issue.

> Surely your hypothetical case of syslog
> (_("string_containing_normal_quotes")) is going to fail in the same
> way if the translation has any utf8 in it.

Who knows. You'd have to know precisely what functions syslog called that
were locale sensitive...

> Surely as programmers we can be trusted to know the difference between
> the cases where a string is destined for the UI and where it is
> destined for something that is non-UTF8 compatible?

You have an encylopædic knowledge of the internals of every library you
use ? I thought not.

Alan