=?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Re:_Quotation_marks:_Using_=93=94_instead_of_""?=

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:

> What about printing to files ? An "nm" also rather suggests that gnome
> apps do use printf and fprintf somewhat and many of the other functions
> mentioned. syslog() is another that is used.

I don't know what your use cases are, but I don't find myself passing
UI strings to syslog very often.
Surely your hypothetical case of syslog
(_("string_containing_normal_quotes")) is going to fail in the same
way if the translation has any utf8 in it.

Surely as programmers we can be trusted to know the difference between
the cases where a string is destined for the UI and where it is
destined for something that is non-UTF8 compatible?