Re: External Deps: Minimal Python dependency

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 16:55 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> 2008/7/23 Sebastian Pölsterl <marduk k-d-w org>:
> > Vincent Untz schrieb:

> >> (heh, I should read ddl before replying to mails)
> >>
> >> So, I took a quick look at the second link. That's all cool, but can we
> >> get an overview of what is really useful in there for us?
> >>
> >> Vincent
> >>
> > * Various speed improvements regarding re module, sets, unicode operations
> > (substring, split, en-/decode) and handling exceptions [1].
> > * New ElementTree package for processing XML. It's easy to understand and
> > fast.
> > * New hashlib package which supports previously unsupported SHA-224,
> > SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512.
> > * New ctypes package which lets you load libraries and calling functions in
> > them.
> > * The 'with' statement. Which makes it very easy to use locks or read/write
> > a file, because it makes sure everything is cleaned up correctly (e.g. when
> > an error appeared).
>
> How many of these features are critical for the GNOME modules written
> in python? We all like new stuff, but _at the moment_ python 2.5 is
> not mainstream everywhere, so -1 for me as long as new features can be
> added using external modules for 2.4.

We are talking about making the next version of GNOME with the current
*and supported* version of Python[1]. I'm not sure running the latest
version on GNOME on an older release is a priority. The GNOME release is
distros that are upgrading their packages; the distro can update both
Python and GNOME. Users that are installing the latest gnome on an older
release are capable of installing the latest Python.

[1] Python 2.6 is in alpha now, it is scheduled for release in October.
Python 2.4 is *not* supported. The Python release manager for 2.6 could
not even get backported security fixes for 2.4 released. Distro are are
patching Python 2.4 themselves to address security concerns.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.