Re: External Deps: Minimal Python dependency

Vincent Untz schrieb:
Le mardi 22 juillet 2008, à 17:56 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl a écrit :
Hi!

As mentioned in [1] sqlite is a blessed external dependency now. I want to use sqlite for Deskbar-Applet, too. Because, Python 2.5 has a built-in sqlite module I suggest increasing the minimal version to 2.5 from currently 2.4.3 . Of course, Python 2.5 has more benefits [2].

[1]: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-July/msg00090.html
[2]: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/whatsnew25.html

(heh, I should read ddl before replying to mails)

So, I took a quick look at the second link. That's all cool, but can we
get an overview of what is really useful in there for us?

Vincent

* Various speed improvements regarding re module, sets, unicode operations (substring, split, en-/decode) and handling exceptions [1]. * New ElementTree package for processing XML. It's easy to understand and fast. * New hashlib package which supports previously unsupported SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512. * New ctypes package which lets you load libraries and calling functions in them. * The 'with' statement. Which makes it very easy to use locks or read/write a file, because it makes sure everything is cleaned up correctly (e.g. when an error appeared).

[1]: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/other-lang.html#SECTION0001310000000000000000

--
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl