Re: Proposed external dep: PolicyKit

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 19:11 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:

> The issue is that there is no user documentation at all. Not in the
> distribution. Not in the GUI with a "Help" button. Not in stub README
> files. Nothing. ...

Nothing? Did you even look at the links I sent in my last mail? Your
statement is simply false. Here are plenty of non-API docs.

http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/ref-design.html
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/tools-fileformats.html
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit-gnome/ref-auth-daemon.html
(granted there should be links from the website)

Send patches / file bugs if you want to see more docs / improvements. As
I said on IRC I'll still help you (or any other PolicyKit user) as long
as you state what the problem is. Even after being verbally assulted and
all.

> Unless you're a programmer and want to read developer documentation to
> get your USB hotplug working again.

Or, you know, like the rest of the world use a distro if you don't want
to compile things on your own. Listen, I'm not trying to belittle you;
it's just a fact that it's getting increasingly hard for people to
assemble all the random pluggable stuff that makes up the GNOME desktop.

Again, I'd like to point out you're not using the optimal forum to get
help. You're just lucky that I still reply to a thread that is off-topic
for this list. The best way to get help is by using

 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ - for PolicyKit-gnome bugs + features
 https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ - for PolicyKit end-user bugs