Re: Proposed external dep: PolicyKit

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:47 PM, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:
On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:57 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Going off topic a bit: It would be really nice if PolicyKit had a proper
> web page and mailing list. It's too important for information on it to
> be so fragmented.

Right. I'm actually going to try and fix this (dedicated mailing list
and website); stay tuned.

Hi,

I am tracking relatively unstable development repositories. As a result, I have hal 0.5.11 installed which appears to have--undocumentedly--suddenly required PackageKit as a hard dependency. For example, removable storage mounting no longer works if PK is not installed due to the way that the default dbus fdi rule is written. Aside from the hal harddep problem, it appears that PK is sorely, sorely missing its documentation. For example, having this new dependency thrust upon me would have been fine if things like /usr/share/doc/policykit-gnome/README didn't contain:

TODO: write me

If RH is going to thrust PK on us, please, please, please provide some kind of documentation (not an API reference). When things don't work (as they aren't now and were previously) I have absolutely no idea what's wrong, where to look or who to blame. Most importantly, I wanted to file a bug but couldn't even manage that with the spectular lack of information out there.

Luckilly, Rob Taylor was gracious enough to point me in the right direction from what he has in his own memory. Alas, correcting for an obvious packaging error hasn't solved to problem so I'm stuck again. I'm sure others would not be even this fortunate...

Ever so politely,